Ayahuasca is not something you just do without any preparation. It is an age old mix of 2 psychoactive compounds that combine to give you access to use more parts of your brain than you normally would – this causes hallucinations. So, there is a lot of intense prep that you need to do before you ingest ayahuasca because the lifestyle that homo sapiens follow today is drastically different from Ancient Amazonians – the ones that came up with this medicine.
As different shamans and retreats follow mildly varied forms of diet due to their different ways of preparing the medicine, there are different diets that you should follow. While the best way to confirm what you can and cannot eat is by calling your retreat to ask for recommendations, I have listed out what you can eat and what you cannot eat.
It can be confusing what to cook with these ingredients because we are not used to cooking “only” with these ingredients. So i thought it might be a good idea to give you some ideas on what you could eat.
Note: Some of these recipe’s might use some banned ingredients like garlic, olive oil, peppers and onions – It is best for you to consult with your retreat and their shamans for advice. Although including these ingredients might not cause harm, if you want to religiously follow the Amazonian way of eating, consult your retreat.
Here you are with your recipes –
Salad – lunch or dinner:
Grapefruit and Walnut Salad:
- Take half a head of curly leaf lettuce and chop it up
- half a head of red leaf lettuce – chop it up
- take an avocado or 2 and slice them up ( i take 2 coz i love those things )
- 1 large grape fruit
- 1/3 cup raw walnuts
- 1 cup of pea shoots washed and dried
- one fourth cup of mint chopped into tiny pieces – mix the it with them greens.
- juice of 1 large grapefruit
- juice of 1 navel orange
- juice of 1 large lemon
- 1/4 tsp fresh grated ginger
- Put all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk them like you would an egg.
- Get your lettuce and other greends together in a bowl and toss them up with your dressing.
- Divide up the portions and top each portion with a generous portion of avocado slices, grapefruit, walnuts and keep the sprouts on the top.
- Drizzle some more dressing for dramatic effect and serve it up!
Rainbow Salad with Avocado and Lemon dressing:
- These ingredients will make 2 large bowls of salad and dressing.
- Arugula & Baby spinach greens
- 1 yellow beet, grate or cut it as you like
- 2 carrots, ribboned with a peeler
- 1/4 red onion slice them thin
- 6 slices of yellow pepper
- pea shoots
- 1 avocado
- micro green or sprouts
- 1 avocado, sliced
- chopped or slivered raw pistachios
- 2 juiced lemon
- 1 avocado
- 1 1/2 tsp chopped red onion
- 6 basil leaves
- 6 stems fresh dill
- Place a generous handful of arugula and top it up with beets and the rest of the veggies i have mentioned. Add the peas, greens and finally the pistachios.
- Take all the dressing ingredients and blend them until they’re creamy to make a nice creamy dressing. Finally, you could spoon it on a salad or present the dressing as a side.
- Half a head of your favorite lettuce.
- some spinach
- handful of torn baby kale
- chop up 10 stems of parsley
- 10 stems cilantro – chop em up!
- 1 handful pea shoots
- 1 handful sprouts, broccoli, alfalfa, radish etc.
- 1/2 carrot, grated
- 6 cherry tomatoes, chopped as you like
- 1/2 cup sliced red cabbage
- 6 radishes, cut as you like
- 1/2 stalk celery, sliced
- 1/2 watermelon radish, slivered
- 1/2 an avocado, slivered ( i take a full one )
Drizzle some lemon extract on top.
Toss the salad well with the dressing and serve it up in a plate as you’d like it.
Meals made from grains, beans and lentils:
Quinoa and Roasted Tomato Salad:
- 2 dozen cherry tomatoes sliced in half lengthwise
- olive oil drizzle
- 1 cup of regular quinoa soaked in 2 cups of water for not more than 15 mins
- 1 cup finely chopped flat green beans blanched 2-3 mins
- 1 cup sliced baby carrots blanched for 2-3 mins
- 10 chives chopped
- 10 basil leaves chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Place your tomatoes on a piece of parchment and drizzle some olive oil on it and then roast it carefully on a BBQ or put in the over for about 20-30 mins
- Drain you quinoa and rinse it. Put 2 cups of fresh water in a pan and put your quinoa in it and bring it to a boil. Once its boiling, reduce the heat to medium or low and let it simmer for like 15 mins or so. Then, remove the heat and let it absorb the water. After 10 mins, if there’s any water left, it is excess, drain the water and and place your quinoa in a large bowl to cool down.
- After the carrots and beans are blanched, run them under water to stop them cooking and allow them to cool before you add them to your quinoa. Add your cooled tomatoes and herbs to the mixture. Then, add your dressing to the quinoa mixture and combine it gently.
Lentils with Tomatoes and Green Sprouts:
- Half a cup of lentils
- 1.5 cups of water
- 1/3 cup finely chopped white onion ( some shamans advise against onions – it is best to call your retreat and ask about this one )
- 1 tbsp of the best extra virgin coconut oil you can lay your hands on
- 1 cup diced tomato for the juiciness
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger (don’t grate it before)
- 2-4 tbsp filtered water (got to be filtered)
- 2 cups freshly chopped spinach,
- 2 cups baby kale, chop it up!
- First, cook your sprouted lentils in water. Once they’re up to a boil, reduce the heat and let them simmer for like 20 mins. Once the water is almost absorbed, turn off the heat and cover the vessel and leave it alone until its ready to be used – I’m serious, don’t mess with it, leave it alone.
- Add some onions in a pan and cook them until they’re translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and 2 tbsp water and turn on the heat until theyre all bubbly and then reduce your heat and cover it and let it simmer for about 10 mins.
- Add your ginger and then stir it.
- Toss in the fresh chopped greens and just to melt the greens well, add 2 more tbsp of water and keep stirring until they’re mixed.
- Now add the cooked lentils and stir to combine. Keep the heat on until you have achieved your desired consistency and then serve it up!
Broccoli and Quinoa Salad:
- 3 cups cooked quinoa- add water to the quinoa and heat them until they’re boiling. Then let them cool down for a while until the water is almost absorbed. After 10 mins, if the water is still not absorbed, drain the excess.
- 5 cups raw broccoli, chopped as per your liking.
- 1 whole cup of raw nuts – cashews, almonds or pine nuts (NO PEANUTS!!!)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- sliced avocado (i take one whole avocado and i suggest you do the same)
- Add the broccoli to your cooked quinoa and allow it to turn bright green.
- Drain and then run cool water over to stop it from cooking further.
- Now, you must put aside 3 cups of this cooked broccoli for later use.
- Apart from the almond milk, put all the ingredients in a blender and blend them creating a finely blended concoction.
- Now is the time to add your milk to the mix and stir it around. After a few minutes of stirring, it is now time to add your 3 cups of broccoli.
- You must be wondering what to do with the avocado. Well, in this recipe we do not cook it ! it is used for dressing and aesthetics in plating! Yes! plate up your concoction and make sure each serving has a generous heap of greens
- I go with 50% mixed greens and 50% quinoa salad.
Vegetable Quinoa Patties with side salad:
- 1 cup of dry quinoa, cooked in 2 cups water.
- 1 very large sweet potato, peeled, diced, steamed, mashed.
- 1 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/2 cup finely diced red pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- juice of one lime
- Once youve cooked your quinoa ( im sure you know how to cook quinoa now). Couple the quinoa with your mash potato. Add the red pepper and onions to a pan and sautee them. Let them cool and then add them to the mixing bowl with the quinoa and the mashed potato. Stir them all together.
- Brown them as much as you’d like and then serve them up nicely!!!!!!In large mixing bowl, place cooked quinoa and mashed sweet potato.
The ever so occasional fish is allowed and so, i have a Fish Meal for you!
Fish is okay once a week.
Salmon and Lemon Pesto:
- Take 6 fillets of wild salmon with skin on
- 2- 12″ long cedar plank soaked in water for a good hour.
- 1 1/4 cups chopped parsley
- juice of one lemon
- zest of that same one lemon (we don’t like to waste stuff)
- 1 cup raw nuts (NO PEANUTS! IT COULD BE – pine, walnut or cashew or a combination).
- Get all the pesto ingredients in a blender and do what? BLEND THEM. The pesto should be anything but runny.
- Wash your salmon well and let it dry. The, remove cedar plank from your soaking tub and lightly pat the surface of it dry. Then, what you do is, you place the salmon plank skin side down.
- Now you spread a generous helping on presto on the surface of the salmon.
- Place the planked salmon on a pre-heated bbq grill with the lid closed. Grill the fish until it flakes and a butter knife inserted in the center is hot when you take it out (takes approximately 10 – 20 mins depending on the size of the fish.
- Let it stand for some time after you remove it and then serve it up just like that or with a generous helping of a side or a salad or some plain old broccoli.
Vegetable based meals:
Roasted Seasonal Vegetables:
- 2 bunches of radish – chopped up
- A dozen brussel sprouts – chopped up
- 8-12 sunchokes, chopped
- golden beets – halved or quartered
- carrots, slice em and dice em
- sweet peppers – halved and seeded
- 1/2 acorn squash, seeded and chopped into 1″ pcs
Preheat your oven to 350 F.
Wash and chop your veggies. The, toss em all up. PLace them in a pan or suitable vessel and just roast them.
Then, you could either just serve them up as they are.
Marinated Kale and Roasted vegetables:
- 1 full medium diced sweet potato,
- 1 large beet – diced
- 1 onion – diced
- 5 cups kale, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 avocado, diced
- Preheat oven to 350 farenheit. Toss the sweet potato and lay one end of the baking tray lines with some parchment paper. Do the same with onions and then pour them alongside the potatoes. Then, do the same with the beetroots.
- Mix them all together. You will see that the beets have released their color and the rest of the ingredients are now colored like beets.
- Roast the veggies for 30 mins or until fork tender.
- Whilst these ingredients are cooking, put your lemon juice into a large and deep bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Keep massaging the mix until the avocado is completely creamed through the greens. (will take like 2 mins)
- Serve up the portions and top up with the veggies.
Zucchini Noodles with Basil and Pesto:
- 2- zucchinis (at least 6 inch)
- 1 cup of basil leaves.
- 3 tbsp raw hemp hearts.
- 1/4 cup raw nut mix (pine, walnuts, cashews NO PEANUTS)
- 1/4 cup olive oil for consistency.
- If you are using a spiral slicer, make sure you cut both the ends of the zucchini straight up. Line up evenly and flush between the blade. Begin winding on it and spaghetti like noodles will start to form. Set them aside.
- How to make your pesto – Put the basil, nuts and drizzle some olive oil for consistency. Blend them all up until you find your consistency.
- Toss the noodles with the pesto and serve.
Dragon Fruit, Pomegranate & Macadamia Fruit Salad:
- 4 cups fresh greens.
- 1 dragon fruit, remove the skin and dice it up
- seeds of 1 fresh pomegranate
- A whole cup RAW macadamia nuts
- 1 avocado.
Toss up all your ingredients together and there you go! Its a salad – you don’t cook it or put it in a blender – you eat it RAW.
Banana and mango fruit salad:
Get 2 Bananas and 2 mangoes or 1 mango and skin them. Once they’re skinned, chop them up and toss them together. Ready.
Green Vege Soup with Avocado and Cilantro:
- 1 avocado
- 1 small zucchini
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 cups raw spinach
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 slices green pepper
- 1/8 cup raw onion
- 1/4 cup raw almonds – preferably soaked over night and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups filtered water
- juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon
- 1 small watermelon radish for garnish, diced small
METHOD: Just put them all in a blender and go to town on them! You don’t want any pieces to bite into your soup! (or do you?) – its your soup after all.
Strawberry Almond Steamer:
- 2 cups almond milk, home made is the best.
- 10 fresh or frozen strawberries.
In a pan gently warm almond milk until you can’t touch it. Then, pour your milk into a blender, add your berries and blend. Then you get to drink this delicious concoction.
Cold Drinks (not smoothies):
- 1 apple (may leave out if your retreat has strictly advised against sweet foods)
- 1 lemon peeled
- 3/4 large cucumber
- 2 kale leaves – big ones.
Run all ingredients through the blender and then enjoy your drink.
Carrot and Lemon Juice:
- 5 peeled carrots, 1 lemon. (peel it)
Blend it and drink it.
Beet, Lemon and Ginger Juice:
- 4 beets peeled
- 1 lemon peeled
- One 1/2 inch piece of ginger
Place all in juicer and drink ASAP.
So, hey I hope you got some value from this post, i tried to make it as short as i could. Thank you for your time! I am glad i could contribute towards your journey.